Having said that, another focus of the management is to save IT cost without undermining the efficiency and reliability of the whole IT infrastructure.
We will discuss key points that will help you analyze and identify resources for optimization, achieve cost efficiency by tracking license usage, and save time and money by properly utilizing available resources.
Here are the key points:
Analyze resource data – disk usage rate, disk/ memory free space unused/used servers
Task Automation – automate routine tasks to save DBAs (Database Administrator) time
Database licensing and feature usage
- Analyze Resource Data
- Daily operations in an enterprise might generate terabytes to petabytes of data. It could be customer transactions, employee records, operations data, reporting data for data warehousing and many more.
- Proper handling of this data can help your company gain opportunities to make the best business decisions. In an enterprise database farm, you need to have the proper tools to analyze data within the farm. You need determine instances or servers which has been over provisioned or under provisioned with resources, identify CPU and memory utilization of each server.
- dbWatch is an enterprise monitoring and management solution that helps you keep track of your overall server utilization and keeps track of instances that are over or underutilized.
- This will help you and your management decide whether to purchase, consolidate or maybe re-provision some resources to servers that needs more power which leads to cost savings, because you don’t need to buy expensive resources if you can just consolidate resources that are rarely used.
- Here is a simple example of a dbWatch dashboard which gives you the overview of your memory and disk usage within your database farm.
- In the screenshot below you can see the key indicators like the total physical memory usage(Physical (MB)) for each instance, Physical disk usage per instance.